34th Street Magazine is the arts & entertainment weekly magazine of The Daily Pennsylvanian. Having spent my time in high school writing about movies on the web, there’s nothing I wanted to do more than write for 34th Street while I was an undergraduate at the University of Pennsylvania.
I began writing movie reviews for Street, then became the Film section editor. I then bounced around different sections for the rest of my time at Penn: music, interview, a comedy section called High Brow/Low Brow, and Summer Street.
34th Street has managed to keep a pretty impressive archive online. I was surprised to find that a lot of my work is still available. Here are a few that I remember fondly:
- a feature story about the launch of Quake, a literary magazine specializing in erotica
- a feature story about Penn’s study abroad program in Cuba
- an ode to Seal and his song “Kiss from a Rose”
- a short feature on former Weezer bassist Matt Sharp upon the release of his first solo EP, Puckett’s Versus the Country Bo
- a news story about a McG Hot Wheels movie that was never made
- interviews with Kevin Spacey, Ed Helms, Zach Braff, and David Gordon Green & Paul Schneider